Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Eclipse Subversive (SVN) issues

I spent 2 hours this morning trying to figure out why my Eclipse wouldn't allow me to check-out a project from SVN. I finally fixed it with an update the latest (1.4.3) SVN on our server.

Now Subversive fails with a network data error on every commit and doesn't think it actually commit any files. There is another Eclipse SVN plugin (Subclipse), but when I was trying things out 6+ months ago, subclipse was ugly and less stable. I guess it is time to try it again.

Right now, I'm about ready to give up on SVN entirely. CVS may have it's issues, but I really have no desire to waste time with craptastic tools. SVN's concept of branching may be clean in the abstract but is a pain to deal with. Why do I need to explicitly create the 'trunk' directory? I work with a small team, I don't need fancy tools. I need stable, working tools.

update: Subclipse works like a charm. Phew!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Phippard said...

I am glad you tried Subclipse and assuming you installed 1.2.0 I'd be interested in how you think it compares. If you love those Subversive icons, you can turn them on in the preferences for Subclipse by the way.

In fairness to Subversive, this issue was with the older version of JavaSVN included in your Subversive build. Assuming you were using a newer 1.1.0 version if you just switched to using SVNKit the problem would have gone away.

As for your SVN related issue. You do not have to create a folder named trunk. Subversion uses the metaphor of a versioned file system. You can create whatever kind of structure you want. trunk/branches/tags is just a convention. Use it or don't. As with organizing any file system, including your home folder, adding some parent nodes just makes certain file operations you might want to do later easier. In the case of Subversion, the one you most often want to think about is copy, since that is how you branch/tag. By creating a parent node (trunk) it gives you something to easily copy.

I find this concept way easier than other tools like CVS that use a bunch of special namespaces, but it is clearly not for everyone.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Give a shot to Subclipse before you give up. I'm working with it everyday last year and never had any toubles, it just works, at least for me.

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home