Tuesday, June 21, 2005

East Coast Travels

Humidity. Heat. Subways. Art. Family. Friends.

I just returned from a whirlwind trip to the east-coast. Two of my best friends finally tied the knot and an absolutely gorgeous ceremony, outside, in the woods, with a small pond in the background. This was my first real summer visit to the east-coast in roughly 8 years. Damn it was hot and worse… humid! I forget how spoiled I am by Seattle. Mild summers and milder winters have softened my skin. Not just me, either. My friends from Seattle who were also out for the wedding where all complaining as well. And the bugs… None of that managed to upset a fun gathering of great people. Although I think I could have lived without the sing-along on the ride home over the mountain, thank you Miranda.

I wandered D.C. with my own personal art/science guide (ez-g). Many thanks as well to my father for deeding me fair skin that burns at the slightest touch of sunlight. Unfortunately, I learned after I left, that there is a new American Indian museum which is supposed to be quite good.

Amtrak to NYC was fast and painless. Traveling by plane has become such a painful process, with all the security checks, delays, and queue upon queues. By train, I could show up less than 30 minutes before departure, find a seat that didn’t include some stranger’s elbow in my face. Business class is not much more expensive and includes a wall outlet for laptop power. I recommend against smashing a Snapple bottle in your backpack, as it tends to drown one’s iPod.

NYC just rocks. The Met. MOMA. The Guggenheim. A real subway.
And a special appreciation to all the beautiful people I had the pleasure to watch wander about the city. And extra thanks to Peter for providing a friendly couch.

As I mentioned before, I recently became an uncle. I finally had the opportunity to meet my tiny nephew; at some point I’ll post some pictures. My father has imbued me with a love of boating, but I haven’t been out with him on his boat in 8+ years… until this trip.

Good trip. Not the most relaxing vacation I’ve ever taken, but aside from my iPod misadventure, I have no regrets.

1 Comments:

Blogger breakdown said...

Most people in Europe use trains and yet in the USA it just isn't so popular.

By the time you need to check in and then collect your luggage at the the other end, it can be quicker than flying too, without being couped up in an aluminium shell

Distance Learning

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home