Friday, June 08, 2007

Useful tool: Synergy

I saw a reference to Synergy on LifeHacker.com today. I know I've seen this before, but never really investigated. I now have it running on my work desktop (what better to do while I wait for tests to finish, and traffic to clear?). My normal setup is my laptop connected to a Dell E207WPF, and my workstation connected to 19" lcd next to it. I use a KVM switcher so that I only need one keyboard and mouse (and so the workstation can use the E207WPF). I do most of my work on my laptop, but I like to use my workstation for random tasks that I don't want to interrupt my flow, be they test runs, performance timing, or just iTunes podcasts. Switching back and forth is slow and annoying.

Synergy to the rescue. I now have my laptop set up as master and the workstation as slave. I can hop between machines with trivial ease. Well done.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home