Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Managing for your career

I was just reading Greg Linden's comments on Joel Spolsky's latest essays on management ([Command-and-Control] [Econ 101] [Identity]).  It reminds me dearly of why I left Microsoft.  I saw a number of managers do an excellent job of managing their careers to the detriment of their team.  Not all of them realized what they were doing, but some definitely did.  I think you will find similar problems at any large company.

One aspect that neither Joel nor Greg really touches on is that Identity management can be hard.  In many ways, top down management is what people expect, and to involve people more proactively can take some convincing.  A lot of people have been conditioned to accept top-down management as the way things work.

(note: this is my second trial post with Windows Live Writer...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home