Monday, August 14, 2006

Not quite Quicksilver

I've spent a few hours here playing with some of the Quicksilver-like tools that Kristian Kristensen pointed me at.  Some are interesting, and I tried Slickrun and Launchy but I'm not impressed.  I'm looking for one simple feature: I want it to scan my start-menu (and a few user-contrib directories) and make it easy for me to find entries.  The launchers I tried didn't let me control where it scans (at least not that I can figure) which is a crucial for me.

I've heard that Vista improves the start-menu.  Will that solve the problem?

3 Comments:

Blogger mcobrien said...

I tried out Launchy and thought it did let you add directories (I think by right-clicking on the popup?), but I went back to AppRocket after a quick trial.

AppRocket does let you choose which directories to search, and which files to index (I index all the .sln files in my Visual Studio projects directory), and it's super fast. It's $20, which is $20 more than just about everything else, and they aren't really updating it, but for me it's the best thing out there.

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Scott Hanselman said...

If that's all you want, you might try: http://www.planetharrington.com/products/smartstartmenu/

8:20 PM  
Blogger Umut Alev said...

Yes, Vista greatly improves this. I still use Quick Links though very heavily

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home