Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Eclipse Macros?

I've found myself using emacs a good bit recently. Why? It is the only editor I use regularly that has easy, fast, and good keyboard macros. As far as I can tell, Eclipse doesn't include any kind of keyboard macro system. Am I missing something obvious? How could such an otherwise amazing package be missing some fundamental? Count me confused.

Then again, Visual Studio may include keyboard macros, but they are so slow and annoying since VS7 that I gave up using them. It is faster to load emacs load the file into emacs and just do it there.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering the same thing. The whole reason I chose Eclipse over Intellij was b/c it's emacs key mapping was better (you can set point, which you can't do in Intellij).

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might also try nitrol.exe, from http://www.sanestudios.com (formerly AdamWare). It is less than 100KB and has no external dependencies. This makes it easy to copy around to other machines or run remotely. It feels a little bit like Visual Studio, and has simple Ctrl-Shift-R macros like Visual Studio, but is fast. I use more sophisticated editors for general programming, but Nitrol is nice for quick and simple browsing or editing.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a macro recorder for eclipse for some time.. (at one point I implemented one, but due to the level of instrumentation I used it greatly restricted the amount of auto-complete-related features you could use at the same time). In any case, I just stumbled upon MacroSchmacro: https://macroshmacro.dev.java.net/ which seems to work, although it seems to be horrificly slow.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or, we may do just as well in vim :p

if you do happen to find macro recorder, i would very much appreciate to now!

daniel

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I loved the powerful macro handling in emacs as well, and as far as I can see eclipse is miss this functionality (neither built in nor as a plugin). My solution was to use UltraEdit, which also is a excellent editor.

Jorgen

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home