Monday, May 15, 2006

Doctor Who?

I finally got around to renting the new Doctor Who series. I'll admit to having been a huge fan back in my teens. I used to make my poor mum hold off dinner until after the show because I couldn't bear to miss an episode. I was a bit surprised to find that my better-half had also been a Dr Who fan. Back on topic... the new series is surprisingly good. I've only watched the first 2 episodes so far, but I can't waite to watch more.

It seems that BBC has some sort of copy-protection on it, because none of the programs I normally use to watch European movies work with this DVD. I had to use up one of the prescious region-code changes allowed by my powerbook's DVDPlayer app. I tried using various software that I have used to watch region-2 DVDs before, but none could read the DVD. I tried a package which claims to be able to de-macrovision DVDs, but that also failed. It is sad because this forces me to BitTorrent the shows... I don't have cable because I just don't watch enough tv to justify the cost, and with this I can't rent it on DVD (since it isn't out in Region-1 NTSC, at least not as far as I can tell), so BBC is forcing me to BitTorrent it... when I'm perfectly willing to give my money. This is an example of why copy protection is so problematic.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ecclestone series or the Tennant series? I'm enjoying the latter even more than the former.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*cough*alt.binaries*cough*drwho*hrmpph*

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home