Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Mindless Entertainment

It being winter(ish) and all, and more importantly, dark at 4-frigg'n-pm, I've actually seen a few movies recently. (I probably average one movie a month from April-October.)
  • Wallace and Gromit: Funny, Smart, and British as bloody hell. I expect I'll watch it again; I may even buy it.
  • Harry Potter: My favorite Potter movie. Despite having read the book ~2 years ago, I could still feel some of the holes in the story though. Definitely worth the big-screen experience despite that.
  • Chronicles of Narnia: Natascha and I read the first 2 books aloud to each other on the way to Burning-Man this year, so I basically remember the story, and was impressed at how well they kept to the main themes. Fun family entertainment, but somehow, the magic of the story was dulled by the cinematics and the movie definitely lacked the suspension of disbelief evoked by the novel. Worth taking you family to, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Wallace & Gromit.
  • Mr & Mrs Smith: Surprisingly amusing for the first 3/4 of the movie, but the ending was a complete waste. I'm glad this was a rental and that I didn't bother to see it in the theater.
  • Aeon Flux (MTV Anime): I've only had time to watch the first DVD, but I forgot how wonderfully f#cked up this was. It is even more so when you watch entire episodes uninterrupted. It does remove any real desire to see the recently released movie though, as there is no way it could possibly compare. I'll probably rip the rest of the DVDs so that I can watch them while stranded at my parent's house for the holiday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Derek -- it's cousin Doug from Boston! Trying to track you down and don't have your new email address. Cool surprise party for Jack on Jan. 14th (60th) -- any chance you could attend?

Thanks for the movie reviews -- we'll check 'em out.

Stay cool ..., or, as warm as possible!

-Doug

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home